Monday, May 13, 2013

A Reason for Insomnia

Insomnia is something I am quite familiar with. But not for any of the common reasons, so the common cures scarcely work. No, my reasons are...well...

I am afraid to sleep tonight.

Sometimes I can feel them, crawling behind my eyes, slipping into my brain and messing things up. I fight them. I try to stay awake, make them believe I will not fall asleep tonight. Maybe they will leave. Maybe I will be safe.

The dreams know.

A fog covers my irises and mind. The crawling finds its way deep into the crevices of my brain, infecting where the logic lies. A shadow creeps across the ripples inside my skull, covering up the places where the dreams hide. When the dreams are all tucked in, the crawling stops.

And when the crawling stops, I stop fighting.

My body falls. The dreams come back to life, and I am trapped.

Is this really sleeping?

No comments:

Post a Comment